Dev Diary 10 – Current State of Starflight: The Remaking of a Legend

For discussions about the new Unity SF1 remake by Marvin Herbold
Blake00

Dev Diary 10 – Current State of Starflight: The Remaking of a Legend

Post by Blake00 »

This time Marvin gives us an awesome state of the remake video (comparing his work to the original), implements a new save state manager and makes various improvements to existing areas in his Starflight: The Remaking of a Legend project. Next article will cover ORBITING PLANETS!!! Yes really! :)

State of the Remake
(Originally posted by Marvin 06/09/2018 HERE)

It’s time for another “State of the Remake” post. Basically, this is just a video showing everything that has been done in the remake so far. But this time, with a twist! I also have a picture-in-picture video showing the original game! That way, you can compare it side by side. I hope it works well.
You can also see how the final version of the nebula effect looks in this video, near the end.
And here it is…

Save Game Manager
(Originally posted by Marvin 08/09/2018 HERE)

Today, I created a brand new save game manager for the Starflight remake. What this save game manager does is allow you to switch between save games, copy them, and also allow you to reset a save game.
Now you are probably saying, “hey this wasn’t in the original game!” But, actually, it was. It was in the form of DOS command line batch files that you could run that would make copies and help you move around your save games. The remake basically does the same thing, but within the game itself and, of course, in a much more user-friendly way.
In the remake, you are allowed up to 5 save games, and you can switch between any of them, reset any of them, and copy a save game from one slot into another.
The video will show you what I am talking about.

New Status Display

Just a quick update – I implemented the status display.
On the status display, the “date”, “cargo”, and “energy” are all functional – although for “energy” nothing is actually depleting it yet so it’ll show a constant value.
The rest of the status display – “damage”, “shields”, “weapons” and the two vertical bars – are non-functional at the moment. They will be made functional when those systems actually get implemented.

And He Saw That It Was Good!

Over the last couple of days, I spent most of my time just polishing things up and making the remake really shine. I completely updated the astronaut that you control while at starport – he moves around much better. I uploaded the original mesh to mixamo.com and they were able to skin and rig it much better than I ever could. Then, I searched for and downloaded a few animations that they had available for it. Unfortunately, there is no foot tapping animation on Mixamo. But, I did find a few good ones that I put into the remake.
I also refactored a few small things – like relocated some code to components where it made more sense to belong. And I fixed quite a few bugs – especially a really nasty save game bug relating to the copy save game feature. Overall the game feels much more polished, and is ready for new features!
Here are some silly screenshots I took while messing around with the astronaut on Mixamo.
ImageImageImage

Return to Docking Bay

As the heading says – players can now return to the docking bay! And from there, return to spaceport by disembarking. Development is moving along nicely…

http://blakessanctum.x10.mx/Games/Starflight
Blake's Sanctum - Starflight Series: fan page containing pics, vids, info, walkthroughs, & fan games!