Starflight 1 & 2?

For discussions about the original two classic Starflight games that started it all!
NatureDruid

Starflight 1 & 2?

Post by NatureDruid »

So I tried playing Starflight: The Lost Colony, and sad to say, I didn't really like it. Does that mean I won't like the originals as well?
Fiendishgames

Re: Starflight 1 & 2?

Post by Fiendishgames »

I have only just started playing SF:TLC so I can't really comment on how it matches up with SF1 and SF2.

Having said that, it may all come down to whether you like the story behind SF 1/2. It is a fairly free-form game that gives you a whole universe to explore and a plethora of races with which to interact. Working out how to interact with them is part of the fun, as is exploring the universe.

The resource harvesting aspect of the games can get a bit tedious, so if it is that part of SF:TLC that you primarily object to, then SF 1 & SF 2 may not be for you.

The interfaces of the original are also very clunky by modern standards and, I don't know about anyone else, but I find space battles frustrating. After I have blasted away at the enemy ships, I want my science officer to scan them for damage and see whether they might be amenable to a bit of friendly discourse, and if they are, I then want my comms officer to converse with them; the trouble is, while doing all this scanning and chatting, the other guys carry on blasting the bejasus out of my ship.

Bottom line: I loved the original when it came out on the Atari ST. About 10-15 years ago, I bought a PC version of the game (5 1/4" floppies! I kept a 5 1/4" floppy drive to hand just so I could play this game and a few other old classics - no longer a requirement in this abandonware age, but at least I am legal!). What with one thing or another - parenthood, so many games & so little time, work, real life - I have only just got around to playing SF1, and I probably would not have done so had I not recently installed Linux on my PCs and discovered a port of Star Control II that reminded me I own SF1.

Having played SF1 for about 50 hours (and losing!) I can say it still had the ability to engross me, and I will have another crack at it some day in an attempt to finish it. However, it did not wow me the way it did the first time around.

Chances are, there are many better games out there available for free or next to nothing (e.g. X-Com if you like old strategy games), but SF is worth a play if you like the theme (boldly going ...) and you don't mind the old school interface.
twobitcoder

Re: Starflight 1 & 2?

Post by twobitcoder »

Just curious, NatureDruid, how far did you get into the game?