To Players: What missions have you accomplished?

For discussions about the release version of the game.
toyotaed

To Players: What missions have you accomplished?

Post by toyotaed »

In the middle of the Chaos quest.

GOOD GRIEF!

Steve was right....

"...The rough ones will be the last 30 missions, starting with Chaos..."
Steve
Site Admin

Re: To Players: What missions have you accomplished?

Post by Steve »

Three are three "clue hunting" missions in the game, "chaos" being the first.

More or less these missions are to force you to talk to all of the alien races, get a sense for what is going on, and write down all useful hints, coordinates, and locations so that by combining them you can find what you need to complete the quest.

My main worry is that these hints are too well buried or too difficult. If you find yourself stuck anywhere, please let me know.
toyotaed

Post by toyotaed »

The "good grief" comment was from some seriously hostile beings opening fire on me.

I figured half way thru that I had to hit all of the different races. Interesting turn of events in this particular endeavour.
DBG719

Post by DBG719 »

I completed this Chaos! quest by chance and shear luck. I did not complete it uncovering definative information in the alien dialogues. I do not want to give anything away, so contact me privately if you want more info.
toyotaed

Post by toyotaed »

@ DBG719-

Chance and sheer luck?

Personally, I am still stuck on 36, and could easily hit the F key to bypass it. What I am doing whilst going thru the game is trying to ensure that the players who follow will be able to complete the missions.

Question to you: Without typing up anything that would spoil the step(s) needed to complete the quest; would you think that "easter eggs" (additional hints) would be beneficial in this quest? Or, in other quests?

Here is my thinking: Given the difficulties of some of the missions, the now-standardized Question/Answer/Gather Information/complete the task flow might be frustrating to some players. The last thing any game designer wants is for the users to get disgruntled and shut the game down before it is completed, just because the player cannot raise to the next level. IMHO, beating a level, or a quest, by accident (or cheating) leaves an empty feeling in the user(s).

On another forum, I mentioned that there is more to a game than just killing aliens. We had that crap with Space Invaders....
There needs to be a 'hook', something that keeps the program running on computer screens across the planet, resulting in sleep deprivation to the users.

SF 1 and SF2 had this quality. This one is pretty much there, but, it might need a few more tweaks....becoming sorta-kinda like a book that you 'just cannot put down'; so captivating you cannot stop reading it.