Report Beta 4 bugs here.

Discussion of the new series of beta test releases of this game.
filmoret

Report Beta 4 bugs here.

Post by filmoret »

I couldn't find any link to a bugs page so I created one in hopes that it helps. Here are some things I noticed and a few questions. If there are links explaining any of my questions please tell me so I won't do this in the future.

1. Are artifacts usable? I have no description of the artifact and dont know if I was a scientist could i duplicate the item or anything like that. This is all foreign to me. All I can see is I have a few artifacts and they are extremely valuable, yet they will not sell on the markett because their value is 0.

2. I think the fluxes are moving. I went through a flux and saw the flux on the map like the sf2 did when you went through a flux. I saved the game and came back the next day and the flux is gone. I dont know the location but it is no longer on the map screen.

3. There is no way to make statements when talking to an alien race. The only thing it lets me do is ask questions.

4. When a new player creates they need a direction to their approiate room. For example if I create a scientist then I need something telling me to report to the science lab when I start the game. This will help new players.

5. Terrain vehicle fuel should last at least 2x longer then it currently does there is so little time to move around makes it too unlike the original sf games when the terrain vehicle has so little movement.

6. If at all possible a mini map for the terrain vehicle to scan would be a huge help when searching for ruins.

7. When saving a game in hyperspace you should be taken to the captains lounge so the player can choose a save slot. I accidentially saved over my game with a new player and didn't know it would overwrite the way it did.

I have just started playing two days ago so it will be some time, but I will give all the info I can when I see something. Thank's for a great SF game. Feel free to redirect the bugs as you see fit like I said I couldnt find a page with the bugs so I created one.
filmoret

Re: Report Beta 4 bugs here.

Post by filmoret »

Sorry but you asked for some guy named Tim to tell you about problems. Just wondering if you were thinking that was my name? Cus I didnt see any new members and you welcomed the person that is why I think you might be talking to me. Anyhow my name is Filmore thanks.
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

filmoret wrote: 1. Are artifacts usable? I have no description of the artifact and dont know if I was a scientist could i duplicate the item or anything like that. This is all foreign to me. All I can see is I have a few artifacts and they are extremely valuable, yet they will not sell on the markett because their value is 0.
Currently they have no value or functionality due to the lack of programmer time and effort. Finding artifacts is essential for missions and progressing the plot however. At the moment they are only used to advance quests or trigger dialogue.
filmoret wrote: 2. I think the fluxes are moving. I went through a flux and saw the flux on the map like the sf2 did when you went through a flux. I saved the game and came back the next day and the flux is gone. I dont know the location but it is no longer on the map screen.
The flux system is currently in flux and is an open issue: http://code.google.com/p/starflighttlc/ ... tail?id=97

It is an idea of mine to mark any located flux as visible when found and then store that information into the save game file, but no one is currently working on the problem. Again I am personally limited on time and focusing on the quest system right now.
filmoret wrote: 3. There is no way to make statements when talking to an alien race. The only thing it lets me do is ask questions.
Vincent and I removed the statement functionality of the game. The ability to choose what questions to ask is a far better way of modifying the aliens attitude, and statements caused some annoying bugs and made possible abuses with many types of communication logic such as when the alien is trying to end comms or demand something. I modified and merged all of the statement text into the hail responses and Vincent removed the button.
filmoret wrote: 4. When a new player creates they need a direction to their appropriate room. For example if I create a scientist then I need something telling me to report to the science lab when I start the game. This will help new players.
Good idea.
filmoret wrote: 5. Terrain vehicle fuel should last at least 2x longer then it currently does there is so little time to move around makes it too unlike the original sf games when the terrain vehicle has so little movement.
"Tethering" the terrain vehicle to an area near the ship was done by design. The scale of the planet is different between the original games and this one, and an extended fuel tank would let players wander almost too much if you compared the percentage of the planet surface you could cover in this game compared to percentage of the planet surface you could cover with the terrain vehicle in the original games.
filmoret wrote: 6. If at all possible a mini map for the terrain vehicle to scan would be a huge help when searching for ruins.
Ruins are supposed to be hard to find. I specifically requested this so for later in the game it would be necessary to seek out additional clues and talk to alien races to discover hints on planetary landing coordinates instead of simply finding them yourself.
filmoret wrote: 7. When saving a game in hyperspace you should be taken to the captains lounge so the player can choose a save slot. I accidentally saved over my game with a new player and didn't know it would overwrite the way it did.
This was actually implemented at one time but reversed again. I'm not sure if this was reverted by accident or for a specific reason.
RickDekkard

Post by RickDekkard »

Hi, first of all, THANKS to all of you for give me the opportunity of revisiting the SF Universe. I'm looking forward that you finish this great game.

Second, I found a bug that it's reproducible:

Mission #30, military, to search a item from the Coalition. In Starport they give me two options by diplomacy or getting it by combat. Well, I started with diplomacy but the Coalition ships always started to attack me and giving me no chance, so I tried to got it destroying every Coalition ship I found in their space. After many many battles, I only got many many cubic meters of iron but nothing more, so I tried again to make contact and this time they at least responsed my hailings. But at the third question (just at the time I pressed the ? button) got a error on Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library, here is:

I have tried, the debug and non debug versions, the patch for beta 4 and install the libraries package (VC++ 2005 SP1) with no success.

Thanks again for your effort.
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

I did post a solution to this bug, but you may not like it. The intention in the code was to not allow meaningful communication when the attitude dropped below 10. I've patched this on the SVN for the next beta to eliminate this crash and to end communications immediately without giving the player any chance to do anything.

The solution to both your crash and also in the future when aliens properly refuse to communicate - wait for a short time for the attitude to increase to 10, as seen in the the debug version. If I sent you the patched gameplay files you would still have to do the same thing.
RickDekkard

Post by RickDekkard »

Yeah, I waited and finally can get the device thru diplomacy. Thanks.
boomkin

Post by boomkin »

The screen flickers black and "the game screen". Its an ATI laptop card on windows 7.

It could be drivers. I have problems in other programs but none have a flicker problem.
Alvarin

Post by Alvarin »

In Scientific missions, 34 I think, the mysterious planet, you can only ask the Bar-Zhon, other races have no such lines in dialogue.

Another one is in the "O" type planets. The mission is to visit all planets orbiting all stars. I only visited two and the mission registered in log (and reward) as "COMPLETED"

While I was fooling around, my doc died. In the starport I had to fire the body and then I could re-hire the corpse as a zombie-doctor (he wouldn't function, though).

With Bar-Zhon and Nyssian dialogue (maybe more), when greeting it writes the captain's name twice, i.e. "Captain Alvarin Alvarin"