* THE FEATURE WISH LIST THREAD

Discussion of the new series of beta test releases of this game.
Apocolypse

Post by Apocolypse »

I would rather enjoy some Plasma Cannons... :evil:
Apocolypse

Post by Apocolypse »

Perhaps something to do with the 3 races the Barzon have subjugated.
In the Original Starflight 2, Endurium was outlawed and replaced with Shyneum.
Hidden Races outward of the Spemin.
Freelancers able to become Pirates or Coalition Members.

Just some of my ideas.
MrCatburt

Re: Plasma Cannons

Post by MrCatburt »

Yes Plasma Cannons would be nice with homing capabilities. Laser Cannon Turret, perhaps the experience or ability level of the tactical officer would affect the aim.
Jeff

Possible New Features...

Post by Jeff »

Hi,

I want to start by saying thanks to everyone involved in this project. I played the original back in '86, and this latest version has really brought back some good gaming memories.

Anyway, I had a few ideas that I thought might help out the gameplay. (I apologize in advance if this stuff is already in the game and I haven't found it yet)

1) Editable Captains Log.
Would be nice if there was a way to take/keep notes during your journeys. Maybe it's just the coordinates of an interesting Ruin, or maybe it's some notes on a convoluted riddle that you'll need to refer back to.

2) Reverse thrusters.
Honestly, I don't remember if this was in the original, but it sure would be a worthwhile addition to help you stop where you need to, instead of blowing by a planet. (heck, make it an engine upgrade that you have to pay for)

3) A "Skip tutorial" option.
Sometimes I want to test something out without ruining my "real" game. It would be a lot easier if you could start without all the intro tutorials, and just get a ship (with a class 1 engine equipped), a couple Endurium, and be on the way.

4) Endurium IS useful
This one is probably considered more of a minor bugfix/enhancement, but I'll put it here anyway.
When you scan Endurium ore on a planet, you get the message "This has no value to you, but others may find it valuable." (I know that's not the exact text, but you get the idea)
Shouldn't it be changed to something like "This is a highly valueable fuel resource." or something like that?

...ok, I guess that's enough for now.
Thanks again, I love this game.
Apocolypse

Re: Possible New Features...

Post by Apocolypse »

An editable captain's log would be handy for taking notes. I believe the original Starflight II had such a feature. I personally can't imagine how difficult it would be to add features to a game like this. (Or any game for that matter) since I'm not a programmer.
The OTHER Starflight III project seems to be at a standstill, and has been for 10 years so I gave up on even checking their site anymore... I think their game got too complex, ie fighter craft, different ships, etc.

I would like to see THIS game at least have Trade Depots and artifacts that can enhance game play, such as a Planetary Scanner, being able to land wherever you want instead of a random spot on the planet. That's exceptionally annoying. There were a few interesting items in Starflight II also, like the Terrain Vehicle Teleporter and Star Maps and "Cruise Control" for your ship. I believe it was activated by hitting the Shift-Insert key.

I realize it's a lot to ask, but if this game is only going to have 40 missions (Which most of us have finished the first 35) Then there doesn't seem to be much to look forward to in the Beta 4 or final release.

After all of the Team's efforts, I would hate to see interest in the game disappear. Perhaps they'll make mission add-on packs that will be compatible with current save games.

The game has a lot of potential and the guys have gotten farther along than the other SF3 Project, so I wish them luck and
hope everyone continues to support them. After all, getting a game of this quality for free is a rarity anymore. I would certainly volunteer my time to be a beta tester, but I'm sure everyone else would also.

-A
Apocolypse

Re: Help requested in improving the plot

Post by Apocolypse »

This really doesn't have THAT much to do with the actual PLOT, but you used to be able to make money by suggesting habitable planets to Starport.
Ralend

Post by Ralend »

Inertia. There is an inertia quirk that I think could be redone. When traveling in star systems and in hyperspace, if you rotate while moving, you do not lose any inertia. You can keep going without using any endurium. While this is great for a cost saver, its kinda silly to rotate around so much. Here is my suggestion to level this out:

In star systems, inertia works just fine. If you move forward, you will continue to move forward without engine input. You will need to physically break to stop, which could be a nice way to incorporate those forward thrusters you are adding to the ship. You still will expend endurium to move forward, but not to keep your speed up. Space being a vacuum, this makes sense. The bonus to this is no more silly, out-of-control spinning about to move to planet to planet.

Draw back to this bonus: spinning in hyperspace does not work. Maybe hyperspace is not a vacuum, maybe there are forces pitted against your ship while it moves, or whatever excuse anyone can think up. I think this will balance it out and not make it too easy for us.
Ralend

Post by Ralend »

I miss the message boards. It was always an interesting read. Maybe just some randomness to the game. I read them everytime I visited starport.
Apocolypse

Post by Apocolypse »

Space Hookers and Blast-O-Pods. Definately. LOL
Ralend

Post by Ralend »

How about more open ended exploration. Maybe a logging function? Kinda like logging a planet for colonization, but this time, for different criteria. Maybe a mission or two posted on the message boards (jobs posting?) to find and categorize at least 10 asteroid planetoids for industrial mining. This mission could be taken on while doing other things and as you explore, you can catagorize planets along the way.

Also, Mission specific tasks for specific ship classes could be cool. If you have a war ship, go take on a pirate base or fleet. If you have a science ship, a mission requiring the aquisition of data (logging sensor data) from different acid type planets. If you have the "in between" ship, then maybe a Currier mission or two between civilizations.

Oh, and one more thing. Something I always thought was missing from other starflight games. Interaction between your own people. Come across an Arth ship or two in your travels. Team up in a fleet engagment. Or gain a distress call or two.