A note about the missions in the game...

For discussions about the release version of the game.
Steve
Site Admin

A note about the missions in the game...

Post by Steve »

Numerically there are 63 missions in the game. In reality this number gets far more confusing.

There are four different plot stages in the game. Each plot stage changes the dialogue, character, statistics, and behavior of ALL of the alien races.

PLOT STAGE 1

Missions 1-10 are training missions, same for every class

Missions 11-25 are missing. Removed training missions that people complained dragged down the plot.

Missions 26-35 are the class specific missions. There are actually 30 missions here, but depending on which class you picked you will only experience 10 of them.

Starting with these missions and going to the end of the game, all of the missions are the same for all three professions. However many missions can be completed in multiple ways, either by negotiation, destroying alien vessels, or sometimes outright refusing to take a mission.

PLOT STAGE 2

Missions 36-46 (all with one over-arching theme)

PLOT STAGE 3

Missions 47-58 (ditto)

PLOT STAGE 4

Missions 59-63 (ditto)

For those of you who are testing these missions out, what does this mean?

F10 advances to the next mission and progresses to the next plot stage when needed, such as when advancing from 35 to 36, the plot stage will advance to 2

F11 advances to the next mission but never modifies the plot stage
F12 goes to the previous mission but also never modifies the plot stage

If you use F11 and F12, be sure that when you are trying a certain mission you are in the correct plot stage or alien dialogue won't be broken. For example if you are in plot stage 2, do not go back to missions 1-35. If you are in plot stage 1, do not use F11 to jump to missions 36+

WARNING: Once you advance to a new plot stage, none of the hotkeys will return you to a previous plot stage.
toyotaed

Re: A note about the missions in the game...

Post by toyotaed »

A followup to Steve's post:

Using the F11/F12 Hot Keys changes the mission number on your info panel at the top left of your screen. The function keys will advance/reduce the missions whilst you are in hyperspace. Look closely at the numbers; this is where you determine which mission you are in.

The screen will not change in any fashion as the mission numbers are manipulated up or down.

Regarding the now-deleted missions, one of them was to 'gather up 50 Black Acid Squirters' from a planet and return them to the starport.
Steve is correct, that particular quest did detract from the plot.
twobitcoder

Post by twobitcoder »

There were quite a few "collect N lifeforms/minerals" type quests, but they were meant to help the player get out and begin exploring the galaxy. There were just too many. I think 10 is a good number. You pretty much have to do these initial quests to complete the game. I'm really eager to see it without all the debug keys. Hope we can get there soon.
Balika

Post by Balika »

Hi,

I can't go further in the game because I don't find "Thorium" at all. It's one of the first missions.
I've seen, on this forum, that there is Thorium on "Oceanic" planet. I've been looking for it many hours on different oceanic planets but there isn't Thorium.

Could it be a bug ? :roll:
DBG719

Post by DBG719 »

I do not want to post the answer on this open forum. If you would like to know where to find Thorium, send me a private email and I will direct you to a planet where you mine it.
Balika

Post by Balika »

:?

The web is full of "game walkthrough".
What's the problem about "revealing where is Thorium" here ?

It could be useful for other gamers. ;)
DBG719

Post by DBG719 »

Many players do not want to know but rather prefer to locate it themselves. So I try to offer hints and clues on the forum, but usually provide answers directly to the person asking for the answer.
Balika

Post by Balika »

Okay, I understand.

And I have finally found "Thorium" (on an oceanic planet, as the mission briefing said, and ... elsewhere too !). ;)

Now, the scientific missions are finished. Let's go to the "virus plot" missions ...
NatureDruid

Post by NatureDruid »

I am currently looking for the whining orb. I have found the planet it is on, but not the coordinates on the planet. Are there any aliens who could point me in the right direction?
DBG719

Post by DBG719 »

Go talk to the Coalition.