About Starflight The Remake by Stainless

For discussions about the old discontinued SF1 remake by "Stainless"
Blake00

About Starflight The Remake by Stainless

Post by Blake00 »

Note: Pictures, description & videos below have been taken from Blake's Starflight website here:
http://blakessanctum.x10.mx/Games/Starflight/

PICTURES:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

ABOUT:
Starflight The Remake is as the title suggests a Starflight 1 Remake worked on until 2008 and at the time was truly one of the most impressive Starflight fan game's ever made. It's extremely talented creator Stainless went on to work on the huge 3D remake of the Starflight III Fan Project and you can really see a lot of those impressive 3D features being developed way back when he was working on this SF1 remake. I'm not sure why Stainless stopped working on his remake, but I'm guessing it was because of his shift to the SF3 project.

Cool lifeform scans

However what really surprises me is just how complete his final Alpha build is! It contains a finished starbase, full space exploration of the galaxy and solar systems, impressive planet landing and take off sequences, working planet rover vehicle that can scan lifeforms and download messages from ruins, artefacts rendered in 3D, and apparently Aliens and combat too (although sadly I've been unable to encounter them). You can even get pulled over by the Space Cops (music and all) for speeding out of space dock lol!

Space Cops, whatya gonna do when they come for you?

This alpha contains an amazing soundtrack of beautiful space songs and some of the animation is truly impressive. It's such a shame this project was never finished and got to see the light of day however at least we now have a new Starflight 1 Remake on the way! If you want to check out this amazing project I'm hosting the final alpha on my site to ensure it's not lost forever. Enjoy!

If you have any questions, comments, new information, long lost materials/demos not seen here, or you just wanna discuss this old fan project feel free to comment here or start a new thread in this forum!

VIDEOS:

DOWNLOADS:
Final Alpha 3 Installer - At starflt.com (Mirror 1)

LINKS:
Project Website
Old Project Website (Via Web Archive)
Official Forum (Via Web Archive)
http://blakessanctum.x10.mx/Games/Starflight
Blake's Sanctum - Starflight Series: fan page containing pics, vids, info, walkthroughs, & fan games!
MNMinstrel

Re: About Starflight The Remake by Stainless

Post by MNMinstrel »

Blake00, I watched your video on this project, thanks for documenting it. Very cool to see that this project still has some historical interest. I am not Stainless, but I was involved in this project. I created many of the graphics, including the alien comm images, and a complete set of music and sounds for it (most of this never made it into the alpha). I thought this project would be lost in time when Opie shut down the old SF3 forums a few years ago.

John
Blake00

Post by Blake00 »

MNMinstrel wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:34 am Blake00, I watched your video on this project, thanks for documenting it. Very cool to see that this project still has some historical interest. I am not Stainless, but I was involved in this project. I created many of the graphics, including the alien comm images, and a complete set of music and sounds for it (most of this never made it into the alpha). I thought this project would be lost in time when Opie shut down the old SF3 forums a few years ago.

John
Hi John!

Thanks for dropping by! That's super cool that you wewre involved in this awesome project.. it certainly had a lot of potential!

Mate if you have any way to contact Stainless still please let me know or let him know about my video. I'd love to chat with him sometime about his work on this and his SF3 stuff which I've also covered in my series!
Blake's Sanctum - Starflight Series: fan page containing pics, vids, info, walkthroughs, & fan games!
MNMinstrel

Post by MNMinstrel »

Hi Blake,

Haven't heard from Stainless in over 10 years. Stainless was probably one of the most prolific coders I have ever worked with, he got stuff done at an amazingly fast rate. I know he dropped this project and left the SFIII project because he had too many other things on his plate. He was actually very close to finishing the code for this project, but life got busy for him and since this wasn't a source of income it got dropped. I created a lot of content for this project that was never put in, including music for each race, comm images for each race, ship scan images, music for each type of planetary weather, music for each section of space (i.e. dead zone, intermediate zone, uhlek territory) and sound effects for just about everything that could happen in the game. The theme music at launch in the alpha was me, as was the space cops music and graphics. I did put a lot of thought and effort into the things I worked on, for example the mysterion music had a rhythm that matched the binary code that they send you in comms, and the veloxi music had a lot of musical elements using the number 6. Steve Wirsz, myself and a few others had plans to try and use my content in a remake using the lost colony engine at one point, but it never gained enough momentum. Life happened for me as well, so I'm too busy to put any meaningful effort into hobby projects anymore. I am very excited to watch the progress of Marvin's project, he has made it farther than most fan projects and doesn't look like he is losing any momentum.

John

P.S. I have attached the only image I could find at the moment... But I know everything is backed up. This image of the gazurtoid church was displayed by the nomad probes in the game. I decided it was logical that nomad probes could be hacked by other species and used to display advertisements. If I remember right, I had audio for this as well. :D
Attachments
GazurtoidChurch.png
MNMinstrel

Post by MNMinstrel »

Here's the comm image for the Thrynn:
ThrynncommJH4.png
ThrynncommJH4.png (132.7 KiB) Viewed 53281 times
Blake00

Post by Blake00 »

That's awesome! Great pics and I laughed when your space cop sequence happened in the demo haha.

Yeah it really amazed me how complete Stainless's final remake demo was.. I couldn't meet aliens and get into combat but it pretty much had everything else working which was quite the achievement. Such a shame you guys didn't get to that finish line.

Steve & Jon's SF-TLC engine certainly does have the potential to be used for other remake projects so its a shame that hasn't happened much. John Weaver has been converting TLC into a Sega Genesis/Mega drive style SF game which is super cool. I helped him out with a few things on it and it was fun!

Yeah Marvin's remake is our best hope. He's been on a break from it due to work stuff but if anyone can get the job done its him!

Feel free to come join the SF3 facebook group I run, a number of the old SF3 team and other fan project creators still lurk there. A few have appeared in the official SF3 discord too.