game fails to initialize, wont run?

For discussions about the release version of the game.
Volraith

game fails to initialize, wont run?

Post by Volraith »

Running windows 7 starter (junk i know)

Always fails to initialize.
Tried running as admin too same thing.

Any help?
Steve
Site Admin

Re: game fails to initialize, wont run?

Post by Steve »

Sorry guys for the hiatus.

The number one issue of why the game won't work is because of screen resolution. The game engine absolutely requires 1024x768. If you are running this on a netbook (guess from Windows starter edition?) then you either must somehow change the display resolution to a setting that is at minimum higher than 1024x768 on both axes:

For example, 1366x768 will work, 1024×600 will not.

If you are unable to change the display resolution high enough, try plugging your netbook/laptop into an external monitor. If this solves the problem, then it is up to you to figure out a way to trick your network into running at a virtual high-resolution when using its own screen...
Volraith

Post by Volraith »

Yes I am indeed on a netbook. It won't let me set resolution higher than 1024x600.

I will try an external monitor, just looked on the side of netbook looks like I have the proper port.

Thank you for your help, hope that works!
Because I am absolutely a big Starflight fan!

Been watching it played since the original on an 888 I believe.
Been really playing it myself since the Genesis port...

Also been trying to find a legal way to make SF2 run, but always had problems with that too.

Cheers!
Vol
raykj07

Post by raykj07 »

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and the game won't start either. Tried running in 1024x768, also. Running at 1600X900 DEFINATELY doesn't work.
Any ideas?
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

What error message does it crash with?
Marcusrm

Post by Marcusrm »

My problem is that the game loads, but is too big for the screen. I am running a Windows 7 PC with 1920X1080 resolution. Should I change to the advised settings before loading again? Btw, thank you for this project. I played Starflight 1 & 2 on my Amiga 500 years ago and missed this game. I recently found the PC versions on G.O.G., but the graphics are nowhere near as good as the Amiga's were, so this new version is a welcome change. :D
twobitcoder

Post by twobitcoder »

Hi Marcusrm. I was one of the developers of the game. It is possible to modify the game so it will run at any resolution with scaling, if we were to dig into the sources again (not the best option). Another way to get around the problem is to run it in a window. I don't recall if we had a working options screen or not, but you can edit the config file to change the game from fullscreen to windowed mode. It's just been so long since I've played I can't recall if that's an option in the game or not. I was supposed to be! :)