game very slow

For discussions about the release version of the game.
evan7seven

Re: game very slow

Post by evan7seven »

Some details that may help diagnose the problem.
1. Starflight only uses about 5 to 6% of my CPU and when running the game with all the other background applications my CPU usage fluctuates between 8-12%, so I'm sure this isn't an actual processing speed problem.
2. The music plays just fine
3. The game also loads extremely slow when compared to a youtube video of the start of the game.
4. I've tried playing it to see if I can notice anything within the game that would be helpful. I notice that in the star map when you click on a location it gives the estimate full consumption to get to a star system. After traversing the space to get to the destination it took about 4 to 5 times the fuel estimated, plus an extremely long time. So I'm not sue if this is a symptom of the timing being off in the game. I'm just a user so I have no real idea of how any of this works :D

I am extremely happy to have found this game, and to play it for free is too good to be true. The amount of time and energy it took to make the game and support it is taxing. I would have been more than happy to buy the game (albeit working smoothly on my PC), and if you fix my problem I would donate $$ for continuing support.
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

I'm still leaning towards video issues. A couple things that I'd be curious about: Go into the \Starflight TLC folder and then run the starflighttlc-debug.exe At the top left corner of the screen you will get a frame rate calculation called "Core:"

What is the frame rate on the title screen? (menu with spinning planet)
If you go to the settings menu, does the frame rate increase?
If you go to full screen on the settings menu, does the frame rate increase?

Frame rate is capped at 60 (shows "Core: 59") If you're getting a much lower number, what video card you have? Have you recently been to nvidia.com or support.amd.com?
evan7seven

Post by evan7seven »

I ran the debug program as you suggested.

1. The core rate is very slow at the menu screen 6-7. You said that the planet would be spinning at the menu page, which it wasn't.
2. When I go to the settings menu the frame rate drops to 2-3 (I did it several times) then pops back up to 7.
3. Unfortunately when I exited full screen mode the top of the display is cut off so I could not see the core reading. Judging by the lag of the mouse I surmise the core rate is very similar in the non-full screen mode.
4. I have a Dell XPS (laptop) i7 6G Ram with a NVidia Ge Force GT 525M, with current drivers installed (after first reading this thread I made sure I was up to date before posting my problem). As a reference I can play Skyrim at fairly high settings almost perfectly.

Thanks for your help, and let me know what other suggestions you may have.