Saved Game State

For discussions about the release version of the game.
DBG719

Saved Game State

Post by DBG719 »

I just completed Quest 37 - Containment. I am playing Scientific. Something appears to have changed when I save my game state. When I travel to a distant planet and gather minerals or artifacts and save the game, the next time I load the game, I am back at the Starport. I have all of the minerals and artifacts I gathered and the Endurium I used to get to the distant system is gone, but my ship has been saved at Starport, not the system where I saved the game state. Oh, by the way, several of the ruins at the target planet in Q 37 are in lava zones where you cannot land.
toyotaed

Re: Saved Game State

Post by toyotaed »

Please make a note of the ruins in the lava zones (the X-Y coords), and paste them up here. I'd like to see if they are the same on my gamestate.

Thanks
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

Actually there are 50 randomly scattered ruins across that planet all with the same description. I wanted enough random ruins that the player would run across one sooner or later. Inevitably a good number of them would be inaccessible. If you want to write down every single solitary inaccessible ruin then I can remove them, but I don't think it's worth the effort.

The saved game sequence is the stranger event. I will try to duplicate it over here, but if you can get the exact sequence of steps to cause it, I would appreciate it.
DBG719

Post by DBG719 »

OK, I started Q38 - Samples. I went to a distant system looking for an artifact. I expended 2 Endurium. Then, I decided to flex some muscle enjoyed a little combat losing some armor in the process. I saved my game state. When I re-loaded the game, I was in Starport, my 2 Endurium were gone and I had a 500 MU repair bill for my armor. It appears to save everything correctly except it returns me to Starport. And I kinda thought that you just randomly threw those ruins on the planet because of the scan results....pretty big tip off.
DBG719

Post by DBG719 »

I only noted a couple of the ruins in lava: 11Sx10E, 50Nx106E, 131Nx138E, 75Sx150W.
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

I still cannot duplicate this problem. I set the plot stage to 2, quest to 38, and saved the game in starport. I then quit, loaded the game, traveled a bit, pressed F1 for a pirate encounter, left the encounter, and pressed escape to save the game state in hyperspace.

When I loaded the game, it put me back exactly where I was in hyperspace without a problem.

Could you e-mail me all of your saved game files and let me test it? (wirsz@hotmail.com)

Couple possibilities. Try always using Esc to save and load your game instead of the captains lounge. Try not to use the last saved game slot.

Also maybe try installing the latest 1.00 release linked to at the top of this forum, then copy the single save game file to the new 1.00 game and try it again. Note that the new installer defaults to putting the game under the program files directory.
DBG719

Post by DBG719 »

I was using the last slot. I moved the saved game up one slot and the problem remains. I e-mailed the saved game state to you for investigation.
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

I modified quest 39 and added an extra comment to the Bar-zhon dialog if the player talks to them without having obtained a computer yet. I also found and fixed a bug with the drop quantities and made the computer drop computers twice as often. (40% of the time now)

I still don't know what to tell you about the save game / loading game bug. I did reproduce it once but then I could not reproduce it a second time. Even if I did reproduce it, I'm not sure if it's something I could fix anyway.

There are so many small annoyances in the save game system. For example, the "exit" and "launch" buttons in the captain's lounge. They behave differently under different circumstances and sometimes undo loading of a game. Pop-ups from starport when a player for starts a game sometimes appears in the load game window. The quicksave feature sometimes uses the last slot (note the wording written sideways on the last save game slot) and other times uses the same slot you loaded. I don't have the programming experience to fix all the bugs and I suspect that the problem you are experiencing is related to one of these.

There are too many places to load games - from the main menu, from the Esc menu, and from the captain's lounge. All of these should load one module and work consistently at all times.

If a good open-source programmer takes an interest towards contributing, I'll bring all of these issues to their attention.

Steve
DBG719

Post by DBG719 »

Thanks.

Did not notice problems with Q 40. On to Q41.
DBG719

Post by DBG719 »

Maybe Broke the Code. From the Start Screen, when you click "Load Game", you are taken to the Captains Lounge. There you click to load one of your saved games.

There are two buttoms: "Exit" and "Launch".

After I click to load a saved game.....if I next click "Exit", I retain all of my saved game states but am in the Starport. If I load my saved game and click "Launch", I retain all of my saved game states including where I was in the galaxy.

Soooooo, I can complete some tasks somewhere in the galaxy....stop and save my game.......reload my saved game.....click on "Exit" and I have travelled back to Starport and expended no fuel.....and no travel time. Better than any continuum flux.
Last edited by DBG719 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.