Typos and Comments

Discussion of the new series of beta test releases of this game.
grognard

Typos and Comments

Post by grognard »

I recently "rediscovered" the original Starflight, so of course I eventually came across Starflight TLC. The new version (Beta 3) looks great. I noticed a few typos:

- On the Captain Selection Menu, "empt" should be "empty"
- In the Cantina instructions about buying Endurium, "freightening" should be "frightening" (unless this is meant to be some sort of trader lingo!)
- On the Bank Loan help screen, "weary" should be "wary"

Finally, I noticed that the arrows on the scroll bars in the Trade Depot move the list very slowly. Dragging the scroll button works OK, though.

A comment: I notice that ship movement behaves differently depending on the environment: in hyperspace, between planets, on planet, and in combat. The variety is a nice idea, but I'm not so sure about the vector movement used in combat. I realize it is more "realistic", but I have encountered vector movement systems before and have found them to be very frustrating to control in actual play, so I'm not so sure using it was a good gameplay decision. After all, the idea is to have fun. In Starflight TLC, the frustration is increased because the field of view is so small during combat. Is there a way to clear the screen of the "controls" so the full screen can be used to see the enemy? I know that the game is very close to release and no feature changes can be made at this time, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents anyway.
vcap

Re: Typos and Comments

Post by vcap »

grognard wrote: - On the Captain Selection Menu, "empt" should be "empty"
- In the Cantina instructions about buying Endurium, "freightening" should be "frightening" (unless this is meant to be some sort of trader lingo!)
- On the Bank Loan help screen, "weary" should be "wary"
Thanks for the report. They will be corrected in the next release.
Finally, I noticed that the arrows on the scroll bars in the Trade Depot move the list very slowly. Dragging the scroll button works OK, though.
Yes, this is a known issue. It not very high on our priority list, though. Actually, it's not even mentionned in the issues tracker, maybe it should.
Is there a way to clear the screen of the "controls" so the full screen can be used to see the enemy?
Currently, there is no way. Technically, we could add support for it without too much work. But then, any time we spend on that is time we do not spend on something else. I agree that the controls take far too much vertical space, in some situations.
grognard

Post by grognard »

Thanks for the reply, and for adding the "typos" to the issue list.

I just discovered the "Damaged TV sound effect does not stop repeating" problem, but I see it has already been added to the issue list. I can verify that it is an issue!

Thanks also for the response concerning visibility (or the lack thereof) on combat screens. I realize feature changes cannot be made at this time. For future consideration however, perhaps making the controls "semi-transparent" would be a possible solution. It sounds simple and elegant to me, but I don't really know if that would require more or less programming time than other approaches.

Another combat-related item for the wish-list: Changing the color of the "arm laser" button to indicate that lasers are armed.
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

All of your suggestions other than the arm lasers but has been implemented, alpha tested, and will show up in the next beta. I'll defer to VCap on the feasibility of your last suggestion.
grognard

Post by grognard »

Thanks Steve! As I said in my separate post, I appreciate the responsiveness of the development team.
dougdigdag

Post by dougdigdag »

In beta 3: "You can't carry ANYMORE new item types" should be "You can't carry ANY MORE new item types" (with a space).
dougdigdag

Post by dougdigdag »

In beta 3, on the abandoned pirate base at 122N x 115W on the asteroid in the home system: "He should discover IT'S exact location soon" should perhaps be changed to "ITS exact location" (with no apostrophe), though since the speaker is presumably a Velox perhaps the error is intentional.
dougdigdag

Post by dougdigdag »

In beta 3, on the inner asteroid of the Beothatch(?) system, at the nav marker at 0 X 0: "a forest with several PATHWAY stretching out" should be "a forest with several PATHWAYS stretching out". As an aside, I think that the term "pictorial images" may be somewhat redundant.

Also, part of the text on the nav marker at 71S X 9E is missing, thus: "...depict a forest with SEVINES. Infinite vectors extend..."
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

Again, thanks for catching these. These typos were fixed for beta #4.
Scanoe

Post by Scanoe »

Hello,

I'm brand new to this Forum as about 15 minutes ago. I looked for an 'Introduce Yourself' thread &/or a Newbie Help Thread but didn't see either so decided to post in here.

I played the Sega Version of Starflight quite a few years ago but have not played any version of Starflight since the Sega Genesis became outdated.

Reason for my Post is to ask some Newbie Questions:

1. Does this Beta require a CD &/or Emulator to play ?, If an Emulator is required please explain how to use one for I've never even seen one before.
2. Will this Beta run in Windows Vista 64-bit ?
3. Is there some published Install Procedures ?
4. I really enjoyed the Old Sega Version of Starflight , Does this Beta have any similarity's ?

Thanks in advance.